Vanguard Australia has been helping investors achieve their long-term financial goals for over 20 years. Serving institutional and retail clients, and financial advisers, we offer investment solutions that are low-cost, diversified and robust through time.
We are on the lookout for our next team-member to come and join Vanguard’s Financial Crime Operations team for as a Financial Crime Operations Senior Specialist - Superannuation. In this role you will support the Financial Crime Operations Manager and participate in various projects and working groups, to ensure our Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing (AML/CTF) obligations are met. In this role you will manage financial crime projects relating to function uplifts, represent Financial Crime Operations by being the subject matter expert at projects, and be an escalation point to the Analysts for complex queries.
- Represent Financial Crime Operations in projects as the subject matter expert, and influence project outcomes by working closely with members of the Financial Crime Operations team to understand how daily operations can be impacted by new initiatives, then embedding any new initiatives into daily operations.
- Manage financial crime projects relating to function uplifts, by taking a lead role in scoping, executing and delivering on the project, including designing and implementing financial crime procedures and frameworks.
- Provide technical advice on how to operationalise financial crime requirements and build financial crime capabilities within the team in the areas of people, process and technology.
- Lead the development and maintenance of effective KYC / CDD / OCDD processes, and be the escalation point for the Analysts within the team for complex queries
- Support the Financial Crime Operations Senior Associate in the development and review of transaction monitoring processes, including reviewing transaction monitoring rules to ensure effectiveness
- Identify and share money laundering, terrorism financing and fraud intelligence, trends and techniques.
- Establish strong working relationships and good operating rhythms with Financial Crime Compliance, Fraud and other key stakeholders.
Skills and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree or an equivalent combination of training and industry experience.
- Five years experience in financial crime, AML/CTF, financial services, banking or related industry. Financial Crime experience within the Superannuation industry is highly desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of transaction monitoring, investigative techniques and typologies relating to financial crime.
- Inquisitive, analytical and a good eye for detail, with the ability to articulate issues in a quantitative manner.
- Ability to work independently and accomplish work within established deadlines
- Strong problem solving skills – able to proactively identify issues, solutions and make recommendations for resolution
The position is considered an “Access Person” position under Vanguard’s Code of Ethics.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
About our Culture
The Vanguard culture is grounded in our core values of integrity, focus, and stewardship. It is that unique culture that drives the organization to be the best place to work and invest for Crew (our employees) and clients. Vanguard cultivates an environment of Inclusion where each individual is valued and recognized for who they are as well as their unique contributions, resulting in a highly engaged crew.
Vanguard values the diverse strengths, backgrounds, experiences and identities that crew bring to the organization. With a representative crew, we realize the full potential that unique perspectives have on making decisions in our clients’ best interests.
If this sounds like the right opportunity and culture for you, apply online now.
Future of Work
During the pandemic, we transitioned to a work from home model for the majority of our crew and we continue to interview, hire, and on-board future crew remotely.
As we have developed the path forward, we have taken a thoughtful approach that both maximizes the advantages of working remotely and the many benefits of coming together and collaborating in a shared workspace. We believe that in-person interactions among our crew are important for preserving our unique culture and advantageous for the personal development of our crew.
When our Crew return to the office, many will work in our hybrid model. A smaller proportion of our crew will operate in the Work from Home work model (for example, field sales crew); or in the Work from Office model (for example, portfolio managers).
The working model that your role falls into will be communicated to you in the interview process – please do ask if you are unsure. We encourage you to make the decision regarding your job interview and offer knowing which model your role will fall into. We will test and learn as our ways of working evolve and will continue to evaluate working models along the way.