Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join team CSIRO and make the impossible possible!
- Enable world class science to occur safely!
- Can you help adapt strategies, drive cultural change and support best practice?
At CSIRO our Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) partners with all levels of the organisation to coach and influence to make HSE personal. We provide future focussed, leading-edge development and delivery of HSE programs that result in significant improvement in CSIRO’s wellbeing and HSE culture. As the new HSE Manager – Agriculture and Food you will report to the HSE Executive Business Partner Future Industries and will be responsible for proactively partnering with, coaching, and positively influencing CSIRO’s operational line management and HSE advisors with delivering HSE goals. You will provide tailored support and coordinate the consistent delivery of improving HSE outcomes and metrics, HSE activities and initiatives for the Agriculture & Food Business Unit across regions and the wider organisation, with the key impact focus being to improve CSIRO’s HSE and wellbeing culture.
You will be able to build credibility with your stakeholders via your outstanding communication skills coupled with your natural relationship and rapport building ability. This will enable you to influence and provide critical advice and leadership to your stakeholders. No two days are ever the same, as you tackle a diverse set of issues - we can promise that it won't get boring! If you can see yourself thriving in a fast-paced and complex environment where you can bring your expertise and hone your knowledge by being involved with different projects at varying levels of complexities, then this could be the position you've been waiting for. Why not make your next career move one where you can create meaningful impact not only to those at team CSIRO but to Australia's society, help make the impossible possible with us!
Your duties will include:
- Drive, strengthen and support the implementation of CSIRO’s HSE plan and HSE management system whilst helping to improve the HSE performance of the organisation through technical leadership, influence, and strong communication in the Ag & Food BU.
- Drive the consistent delivery of CSIRO’s HSE activities across businesses and multiple operational sites to cultivate a consistent and organisational approach to HSE.
- Leverage and harness proactive partnering relationships with key site leaders and people, HSE Executive Business Partners and external stakeholders through being a trusted advisor, listening, discussing and providing clear advice towards set goals.
- Through HSE conversations & partnering develop knowledge and understanding of any unique HSE needs across the business or sector to drive the delivery of HSE priorities and initiatives, with a focus on consistent future focussed and positive HSE practices becoming embedded across the organisation.
- Coach to enable the growth and development of BU Directors, Site Leaders, staff and HSE team members in utilising best practice and leveraging capability and communities of practice to improve HSE performance.
- Lead and implement HSE projects to enable strategic outcomes and improvement.
- Guide, support and empower HSE Advisors to develop solutions to complex and challenging HSE issues in partnership with relevant workgroups.
- Establish, motivate and lead successful teams of people that can seamlessly work across multiple sites and business units to build both positive working relationships and influence positive, consistent HSE outcomes
- Develop and contribute to a cohesive, collaborative, innovative HSE team, ensuring seamless and proactive connection between all areas of HSE and regional areas more broadly – modelling desired culture, positive behaviours and empowering high-level delivery.
- Be an advocate for the HSE cultural change program by leading by example, acknowledging and actively promoting key desired behaviours to enable the growth of a high performing, positive and proactive HSE culture across the business.
Location: Open to Black Mountain ACT, Werribee Vic, St Lucia QLD & Adelaide SA
Salary: AU$117,917 to AU$138,176 pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant health, safety, environment degree, engineering or risk management along with at least 7-10 years’ demonstrated experience in leading HSE management within large or complex organisations. Experience working with industry scale operations such as in agriculture and sustainable farming, and food manufacturing. Other complex industries such as mining and complex manufacturing may be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of HSE legislation and codes of practice to support research activities in areas including safety in design and change management.
- A significant record of influencing and effecting impactful HSE changes in team culture in alignment with the strategic direction of the organisation. Further, a strong track record of enabling positive organisational change, by innovating and adapting strategies, goals, and priorities, and driving culture change in health and safety.
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership skills and the ability to lead remotely – utilising collective leadership skills to create connection across all teams within the HSE function and with other stakeholder teams.
- Demonstrated experience in collaboratively sharing and utilising team resources to provide a seamless and organisational approach to the delivery of the HSE strategy.
- A proven ability to coach and be the trusted advisor to leaders by influencing a positive culture where HSE is prioritised and considered ensuring alignment between client needs and CSIRO’s objectives. A strong record of influencing HSE teams and internal and external stakeholders on at times contentious HSE matters to provide a seamless organisational approach to the delivery of the HSE plan.
- Exemplify strong interpersonal skills in managing client expectations. Communicates clearly (both in orally and in writing).
- A strong working history of understanding goals and targets, taking accountability, driving outcomes and delivering on commitments & achieving results.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 4 September, 11:00pm AEST