- Contract until 30 June 2023
- Federal Government Agency
- Sydney & Melbourne Locations
About the company
Karlka Recruiting Group has partnered with a Federal Government Agency to engage an APS4 Laboratory Support Officer. This position is located in their busy Sydney and Melbourne offices for an initial contract until 30 June 2023
About the Position
Under the general direction of the Laboratory Manager (or equivalent), the Laboratory Support Officer will contribute to operational laboratory management and delivery of scientific services.
- Contribute to the laboratory and equipment maintenance schedule, including cleaning, calibration, servicing and repair.
- Assist with the maintenance of chemical registers and ensuring compliance with storage and other requirements.
- Undertake procurement activities in accordance with departmental policy.
- Assist with planning, booking and acquitting official travel for the Director and other staff as required.
- Prepare laboratory consumables and reagents, including microbiological culture media and solutions using aseptic technique.
- Undertake sample receipt and accession.
- Document and prepare microbial, animal and plant specimens for identification, as required.
- Enter data and maintain manual and computer-based records with a high level of accuracy and in accordance with laboratory protocols.
- Provide support or conduct diagnostic procedures, including (but not limited to) sampling for serological or molecular assays.
- Provide support in the preparation and maintenance of biosecurity specimen reference collections as required.
- Contribute to the implementation of systems improvement initiatives, specifically a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), Surveillance Information Management System (SIMS), and the application of fees and charges through PEBS or Automated Import Management System (AIMS).
- Undertake activities to develop knowledge and expertise in relation to professional skills.
- Prioritise and manage own time to provide an efficient and effective service to meet internal and external client expectations, within a regulatory environment.
- Work independently or under limited guidance and with a high level of initiative, integrity and flexibility to support the work practices of the team and the day-to-day operations of the laboratory.
- Provide innovative advice and support changes that may affect Operational Science and Surveillance and/or delivery of key outputs to clients.
- Contribute to the preparation of documents such as reports, instructional material, forms and document reviews.
- Contribute technical or administrative skills and knowledge in working groups and cross-section functions, primarily with internal stakeholders and on general issues.
- Laboratory Technician experience, with knowledge in at least one area of microbiology, molecular biology, entomology, plant pathology, botany or other field relevant to biosecurity.
- Experience in administration, with knowledge in procurement, management of resources, official travel, record keeping and reporting.
- Knowledge in government procurement and financial management systems (e.g., TechnologyOne and SAP Concur), is highly desirable.
- Have or be prepared to develop an understanding of quality assurance and quality control and how these apply to the laboratory tasks and associated record keeping.
- Well-developed ability to record data, analyse information and prepare reports and documentation.
- Ability to think laterally, solve problems and implement innovative solutions to improve existing practices under limited supervision.
- Well-developed ability to support routine diagnostic tests in a plant health diagnostic laboratory, including the ability to document and prepare microbial, animal and plant specimens for identification and/or retention.
- Ability to undertake less complex diagnostic tests as required.
- Ability to prepare laboratory consumables and reagents using aseptic techniques, including microbiological culture media and solutions.
- The ability to effectively develop further technical capacity in specific areas where required.
- Ability to provide administrative support, including management of resources, procurement, equipment maintenance schedules, booking and acquitting official travel.
- Ability to coordinate task allocation and provide timely and quality evidence-based contributions.
- Weekly pay
- Ongoing support: Pre, during and post placement
- Dedicated consultant per contract
- Employee Assistance Program available
- Our agency supports Indigenous communities
How to Apply
Apply now to be considered for submission to our client by 12/08/2022
Email for questions: [email protected]
- Please apply through this portal. Any applications through email may be missed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further discussion.
Applications received after the due date may be considered for similar roles.
Intrested in this job?
All Related Listed jobs
Ozcare Malanda QLD $24.33 an hour 19 days ago
Austin Health Melbourne VIC 2 days ago
Skillset Bathurst NSW 4 days ago
Nick Scali Furniture Narangba QLD 4504 8 days ago
For Health Group Leichhardt NSW 2040 13 days ago
Edwards Lifesciences North Ryde NSW 30+ days ago
Calvary Community Care Bruce ACT 2617 $100,957 - $107,000 a year 20 days ago
Best Friends Support Services Mentone VIC 11 days ago
Colliers International Sydney NSW 18 days ago