Permanent Full Time
Band 7 - $98,456.34 - $109,906.96 pro rata (+10% superannuation)
This exciting role is ideal for an individual who looking for an opportunity working in a dynamic local government providing in-house legal advice on several areas of law, including property law.
Reporting directly to the Manager Corporate Integrity (Legal Counsel) this senior position is responsible to assisting management of the legal team and providing legal advice to Council’s Management Team and staff on a wide range of matters.
- Provide timely and accurate legal advice to Council as required across a broad range of legal areas including but not limited to administrative law, statutory interpretation, common law, commercial law, planning, industrial relations, privacy and health, Freedom Of Information (FOI), protected disclosure and property law and local laws.
- Assist with the preparation and drafting of leases and licences and other agreements in related to the use and occupation of Council owned and/or controlled land.
- Provide advice to ensure compliance with the Local Government Act 2020 and any other relevant legislation including drafting of contractual documentation.
- Respond to requests from external bodies including the Victorian Ombudsman, Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission, Local Government Victoria, Minister and government departments and authorities.
- Assist with the drafting and review of documents, agreements, local laws, statutory notices, and associated documentation.
To be successful in this role you will have the following:
- Tertiary qualification in law and admission to practice law in Victoria.
- Demonstrated substantial experience in legal practice.
- Excellent team leadership skills and ability to supervise and mentor staff.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to report on a range of relevant topics, including an ability to develop and present legal matters and policies in a clear way.
- Skill in negotiation and conflict resolution with the ability to deal with difficult situations and present a positive Council image.
- High level research, analytical and legislative interpretation skills, and the ability to draft correspondence, advice, management reports, legal instruments, and other documentations to a high standard.
A copy of the position description is attached. For further information please contact Diane Eyckens, Manager Corporate Integrity on 9932 1070.
Applications must include a cover letter outlining your suitability to the role and an updated resume. Applications close 11.30pm Sunday 14/8/2022.
Please submit your application either by submitting online or posting to:
Hobsons Bay City Council
PO Box 21
ALTONA VIC 3018
An automated email will be sent upon receipt of your electronic application. Please re-submit your application if the auto reply has not been received or call (03) 9932 1092 if you are experiencing difficulty.
Hobsons Bay City Council is committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity, Child Safety and Workplace Diversity. We encourage a diverse workforce reflective of our community to better meet the needs of our customers.