- Broaden and deepen your knowledge and capabilities by making a genuine impact on the Australian community and protecting the resilience of the financial system
- An opportunity is available at Senior Manager level to lead the team of general insurance supervisors responsible for the oversight of a portfolio of mid-size Insurers.
- Join a flexible and inclusive organisation with hybrid working environment offering a range of professional development opportunities
APRA's mandate is to protect the Australian community by establishing and enforcing prudential standards and practices designed to ensure that, under all reasonable circumstances, financial promises made by institutions we supervise are met within a stable, efficient and competitive financial system.
The Senior Manager - Insurance role involves leading a high-performing team oversighting all risk types (financial and non-financial), ensuring the team develops a supervision strategy commensurate with the insurance' risk profile; developing and coaching staff; leading supervision activities; collaborating with risk partners and advisory specialists internally to inform relevant decision making, and building and maintaining relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
APRA’s leaders play an integral role in shaping our culture, supporting our people, and preparing APRA for the future. The successful candidate will therefore have demonstrated experience leading teams, in addition to a proven ability to engage with senior stakeholders both internally and externally to discuss industry and regulatory issues. You will have a positive mindset and a strategic approach, with a willingness to offer new ideas and a fresh perspective.
The Insurance Division supports APRA’s core function by undertaking prudential supervision and risk assessment activities in order to achieve the government and APRA’s objective of providing a prudentially sound financial system. The Divisions strategic focus is to improve outcomes for insurance customers.
About the role:
- Responsible for managing the resources of the team to ensure the portfolio of insurance entities is adequately supervised
- Continuously coach and develop the team to ensure that the team has the skills needed to support high quality analysis and risk assessment including new skills required as a consequence of the evolving environment
- Work as one APRA to bring required expertise to the supervision of insurance entities
- Contribute to the development and execution of insurers cohort strategy
- Monitor the financial system to identify critical developments which could lead to serious economic issues or to outcomes which go against the interests of the Australian community, and suggest responses
- Assess the insurance entity management structures, strategies, practices and systems, and make recommendations of improvement
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders within the entity
- Be involved in the review of industry and supervisory procedures and provide expert level technical and procedural advice
- Play an active role in the leadership within the Branch and the Insurance Division leadership team
The ideal candidate will have strong financial sector experience with a focus on the general insurance industry. You will have demonstrated experience in managing the development and implementation of regulatory standards and maintain up to date knowledge of financial market trends and the legislative environment. The ability to engage with senior stakeholders both internally and externally to discuss industry and regulatory issues will be essential in this role. Qualifications in a finance-related discipline will be highly regarded.